I'm from from the United States, Rich is from the United Kingdom. We'll be united in holy matrimony.

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

A few examples from our genius handcrafted $2,000 wedding.

Yo dudes!

It's been nine whole months since my last post, but I suppose no one was counting. I hope everyone's had a great New Years/Christmas/Winter/Autumn/Summer! Rich and I had a lot of fun together over the summer months, we both agree that it was our best ever! We were together in England from May until November, and I've been in the states for the holidays. It's been hard to be away from eachother, but we're putting on our bravest faces and remembering that next Christmas, we'll be Mr & Mrs Fuller.

We've made a lot of headway with wedding plans, (one would hope so after nine months,) but it's been a crazy long process. Some couples plan weddings in just a few months, but I don't know how they do it! I guess that most couples have the advantage of being in the same country for the entirety of their engagements, but we spent an awful lot of months just deciding basic things like color schemes and wedding themes. It even took us half a year to decide when we'd get hitched! Back in October we set the date! It's the 16th of June, which is also the second anniversary of the day we met at the train station in Rome, Italy so it's a really meaningful day to us. We've got a little over five months left, and I think we're down to brass tacks with the planning. Now we're onto the doing! Hopefully we'll get everything together in plenty of time, but it's a little daunting--we're literally creating our wedding with our bare hands. We've made everything so far, except my dress and shoes! Want some examples?

I typed out all of our invitations and RSVP cards on an old manual typewriter--over fifty of them! Those were a bit of a headache...I can see why people spend a stupid amount of money on invitations. But we made ours for $30 and a little bit of elbow grease. We're really pleased with them, they're exactly what we wanted! They were so worth the effort.


I've also got the supplies to make my veil and hair piece. I'm making a vintage inspired birdcage veil with a detatchable hairpiece so that I can still feel pretty at the reception. The supplies cost me less than $8 (even with shipping!) and it's going to be so pretty and simple. I can't put it together until I'm back in the UK since it'd surely be crushed en route. Hopefully I won't mess it up. I believe there's room for error...but if not...and if I do wind up screwing it up, hey I'll think of something! I'm just thankful that I've got enough sense not to blow 5% or more of our budget on a veil.

We're even making our own wedding rings! I'm SUPER nervous about those. It's pretty cool, though...I heard that in the World Wars some U.S. soldiers would spend their free time smashing quarters with spoons to make rings they'd send home to their sweethearts. You see, before the mid 1960's they were made from solid silver, not just plated in silver like they are now. My dad gave me two quarters from '62 and I've been smashing them with a spoon for the past couple of weeks, and they're looking pretty good. I've got Rich's sized and mine's getting pretty close...but I have to drill holes in the middle of them and that notion terrifies me.

OH! And Richie is making a GREAT website for us. It's his first ever website and it looks amazing. He's been tweaking it for a couple of days and is not 100% satisfied with it yet...and I know my future husband well enough to know that until he says it's DONE, he doesn't want anyone to see it. But he knows ME well enough to know that I'm chomping at the bit to show off his creation so he's working really hard to get it done soon. Once it's done, I'm totes dropping links. All. Over. The internet.

Anyway, that's the end of the update for now, but I solemnly swear that I won't wait nine months for another update. Cuz I know how desparate you are to read about my life. Cuz it's crazy interesting, right? Hey, at the very least I'll be back in FIVE months to tell you how amazing our wedding was and how great married life is. (Ooh. I just ended my final sentence with a preposition. That's pretty bad.)

I'll try really hard to be back soon, for my own benefit if nothing else. Goodnight!

Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment