I'm from from the United States, Rich is from the United Kingdom. We'll be united in holy matrimony.

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

My Something Blue

I taunted fate just now. I busted out the hot glue gun and scissors at midnight and proceeded to create my wedding hair piece. (This is NOT the kind of thing where I left myself room for error. I walk on the wild side. Recognize.) Usually under these circumsances I try...I fail...and I have to re-order my supplies the next day.

There are two reasons why I was suddenly moved to try my luck tonight.

The first was that I recieved a wedding invitation in the mail today from Jessie, a very old and very dear friend. The invitation was embellished by a pretty navy blue strip of fabric with a sky blue floral pattern. The lightbulb was illuminated! Lately I've been pondering what I can use for my "something blue." It didn't seem like it'd be difficult to think of something...after all, our wedding colors are yellow...and TWO shades of blue. (Sky and navy.) But all I could think of was my garter but how b.o.r.i.n.g. is that?...and besides that I'm not totally sold on the idea of wearing a garter with a knee length wedding dress.

The second reason is brought to me by pinterest. My friends Kelly and Chris recently got engaged and, as is now tradition, Kelly has created a terrific pinboard to organize her wedding ideas. I saw that she pinned this beaut:


Ahhhhh. All the beautiful veils. 

Well, I decided that it was time to make mine. I've had the materials for a while, I've just needed a little push in the right direction. This photo was for me that perfect little push. I looked at the original etsy posting (you'll never guess how much that veil costs. It's silly money.) I looked at it from all of the artsy angles and I figured out how it was made because I am a genius and it is easy to make. 

I only spent ten minutes and eight dollars on my veil. I took a headband that I never wear, wrapped it in Jessie's fabric strip and secured it with a dab or two of hot glue. Lefthanded. Could have ended in tears. Then I glued a floral applique to the headband and attatched two paper flowers with wire so that I can adjust or detach them at my leisure. 




...I know what you're thinking. And the answers are yes, I am going to have much cleaner hair on my wedding day, and no, that's not the hairstyle I'm going to wear on my wedding day.

I'm going to pin the netting into place so that I can detach it after the ceremony.

So there it is...a two-fer! My something blue and my veil.

In other wedding news, I cut two books into over 2,000 strips of paper over the weekend for our paper chains and I bought some pretty porcelain birds for our centerpieces that are probably going to break en route to England, but...maybe they won't?? 

Joann Fabric has issued some c.r.a.z.y.y.y.y.y. coupons this month so I'm going to pick up some material for a few table runners (and lovely handbags) tomorrow. Let me tell you this, friends. A bride- and groom-to-be need NEVER pay full price for ANYTHING.

Goodnight!
Laura

2 comments:

  1. super cute! When do you leave the states?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jessica! I'm leaving on the 31st of March :) I'm very excited to be back with Rich again soon!

      Delete