I'm from from the United States, Rich is from the United Kingdom. We'll be united in holy matrimony.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Well that was fast!

Last night I during the 5 hour abyss when between bedtime in England and bedtime in the States, I was wasting time watching some TV. I was watching It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and thinking, Man. Those rings. I've got to start filing those rings. It's going to take F.O.R.E.V.E.R. and I'd better start now. So good old dad went in search of his rat tail file, and ten minutes later he emerged from the basement with file in hand.

I tried for a few minutes to perfect my technique. It was laborious. The ring kept flying out of my hands or I'd file my finger by accident. I just couldn't get a solid grip on it. It was clear that I needed a makeshift vice to hold the ring, so I took two thick catalogues and stuck the ring between them so that just over half was peering out from the between the spines. Then I filed with one hand while I held the catalogues together with the other. For a while I was a bit noncommital because I assumed that this would take me days and days just like it did to smash them into shape. So I look down and realize that I'm getting really close to the outer edge of the quarter. So my attention turned from a ratio of 9:1 It's Always Sunny:filing to 1:9 It's Always Sunny:filing. It took me two episodes to finish my ring and right as The Daily Show was coming on, I ran down to show my dad. And man, I have to say that my arms and hands were feeling weird...it was the strangest sensation. They were tired, weak, throbbing, vibrating, burning, and numb all at the same time.

I sat down for The Daily Show. But who was I kidding? I got up again to get Rich's ring. By the time Colbert was finished I had two wedding rings: his and hers. They. Look. Fantastic. I'm so proud of them!


I also made our ring bearer's pouch out of a TOM's bag. I don't think we're really going to have a ring bearer, the only little boy that we're close to is the Best Man's son Cody, a sweet but unpredictable boy. So it'll probably be Neil, Cody's daddy, wo will hold onto our rings. I think that we're going to buy this stamp from Etsy:


If and when we do, I'll probably stamp the ring pouch to add a little handmade touch.

I also want to quickly show you my veil in progress! These are the pieces of it:


It's going to be a birdcage veil. I'm thinking that I'll probably just bobby pin the loose netting into place, attach the floral piece to a plain headband and stick the headband over the netting. That way I don't have to wear the veil netting all day but I can still have a little bridal flair in my hair for the reception. After all, how many times are you a bride, am I right? I got the netting here for $3, I got the applique here for $4, and my mom bought me the paper flowers from Michaels for my birthday. I think they were about $5. $12 for a veil, and only $7 out of pocket ain't bad when you consider that this $90 is the alternative.

So with my veil and our rings alone, our wedding is already about $400-600 cheaper than it ought to be. This budget wedding is going to be a cake walk!

Okay it is WAY past breakfast time. 
I hope anyone reading this has the most amazing day!

No comments:

Post a Comment