I'm from from the United States, Rich is from the United Kingdom. We'll be united in holy matrimony.

Monday, January 9, 2012

Over the hump! And a wedding present to myself.

Just a short one today, mostly to puff out my chest and say I DID IT! I REALLY DID IT! 

What did I do? I only drilled great bloody holes into bloody George Washington's face! Twice!
I've had our wedding rings-cum-1964 quarter dollars sized for ages, but they've been sitting inactive ever since because I've been gathering the nerve to drill the holes into them. I guess I was waiting for a day when Sam (my oldest brother) was out of the house because he suggested that I should use some really elaborate method that involved a blowtorch and ice water. Like that was going to happen. I'm sorry, but I could barely get over having to use an electric drill. I found that intimidating. A blowtorch is most definitely where I draw a very bold and discernible line. So I had to drill the quarters at a time when I knew he wouldn't mosey in and ask why I wasn't using his genius method. (I'm not saying it wasn't genius, it was, it was just also a little bit too death-defying in my eyes.)

I've been pondering and pondering how in the world I should create my negative space, but when the time came I just went for it, no hesitation. I knew that if I hesitated I would purposely distract myself and put it off again. So I viced those babies up and just started drilling. I used a small drill bit to get it started so that a guidance way was made for the larger drill bit which actually made all of the progress. It was slow going, but steady...I believe that I'll be sneezing silver shards for days, but I did manage not to get any into my eyeballs. It took about 30 minutes for each ring and I only had a quarter fly off the vice once. It was mine. It got a little bit scratched when it ricocheted off of the floor, but it's barely noticeable. So I got the intimidating part out of the way! They even sort of resemble rings now. Just a few more hours of filing them down and ta da! we'll have handmade, 25 cent wedding rings!


After I was done I made myself an early wedding present, an apron! I've been wanting to try my hand at  aprons for a while, and it's just easy as can be. I have all of this great material that I think would be great for aprons and now that I know how to do it, I can start posting some to etsy... I made mine out of vintage bedsheets. The design needs a little tweaking, but overall I'm happy with my little apron. I can't wait to get back to England so that I can resume my domestic responsibilities. Yeah, I said it. Chew on that, women's suffrage.


There are still some threads loose in that photo because I really couldn't be bothered to fix it up at the time. Must remember make that amendment. 

Goodnight!
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment